Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The original sin

This is my home....
kitchen
Back




 
Basement

 







I inherited it when I married my husband, Dan, in all its 1970's glory.  Now if you dig this style... look away from here on out...because we were not kind to any of the original details...


 
Now with that being said and shown, I do have to mention a saving grace for this home:
All the beautiful trees!  The house is wonderfully tucked away behind these giant pines!!
 
But...

 Due to disease...They had to go.
 
 
But we do have this view from our front door.....(It's a lake)

Now, I am SO thankful to have a warm home when many do not, a place to live and grow in with our son, William.  And dare I say I've grown rather fond of my ugly split-level.  The term 'ugly' has become a sort of private joke between the old place and I, and I use it as a term of endearment.   After all, my son was born here.  My husband proposed to me on the other side of that lake.  We've celebrated holiday after holiday with family and friends right her within these walls.  This house tells our story- and it's a good one.
 
BUT that does not mean that I cannot make this place the cozy and charming cottage that I've always pictured myself living in.  With a little elbow grease, thrifty imagination, and pixie dust I think we can find ways to turn the negatives of this house into positives. 

9 comments:

  1. Very endearing blog. I just purchased an ugly side split with no garage and backs onto retail, so be happy you have a view of the lake. But at least I have a couple of mature trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am grateful really! Good luck with your side split!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a split level c. 1974. It has ugly yellow brick and manilla folder colored siding. It's just the yuckiest! It was definitely a choice based on location! Luckily the previous owner put in custom maple cabinets in the kitchen and new windows (although a few windows were installed incorrectly and my carpet gets wet every time it rains unless I put a towel there). We do have a wall between our tiny kitchen and living room that will eventually come down....and no we do not have a pantry (super lame!), 2 bedrooms and a bathroom on each level. I am all over Pinterest trying to find little things I can do here and there that won't cost a fortune. So much I want to do that is $$$. I will try to show my updates as we get them done. So glad I found you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see your updates!! After being in this home, I believe you can turn any home, no matter how ugly, into a place that you will love! Good luck to you and keep me updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog via Pinterest when I searched for split level entryway ideas. I am looking for a new house & there is a split level available for a great price...but I've always thought they were so blah & boring. Your blog has given me hope that I could make that '70s monster a real home!!! You have beautiful taste & a wonderful eye for design. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas - keep 'em coming!!! Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering how many sq ft your house is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's between 900 and 1000 sq. feet. Pretty small, but enough for us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you happen to know your living room measurements? Our bilevel has a tiny living room of only 10 ft by 10-ft and I'm afraid I'll have to sell all of my furniture because my couch alone is 11 ft by 8 ft l shaped. I have two kids and we're downsizing from a tiny apartment to an even smaller house and I'm afraid that I won't have any space. But your living room is adorable, so I'm hoping it's about as small as ours so I can get inspired from it.

      Delete
    2. Girl, I can't even tell you how much you have helped me with my husband and my new ugly split level. I stole all your ideas for the kitchen and now have started on the yard. Thank you thank you thank you soooooooooo much for your creativity, insight, talent, and intelligence. Keep up the great work! Lots of love, Jeanine (Washington State).

      Delete