Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Entryway

 
THE ENTRYWAY
an unwelcome welcome

This area was one of the worst in the house! Mismatching wood, crap-tastic flooring, GOLD stair nosing, rotting wood...   It was GROSS!! 
 
This is the nosing....
 
To go about updating this in the cheapest way possible we decided to keep the door (That will be a project to come) and side window.  The flooring had to go!  We ripped that out and replaced the landing with tile.  This was very inexpensive because it is so small (the perks of having a tiny abode) and because my handy-dandy husband was able to install it (love him). :) 
 
One of the cheapest and fastest way to do stairs is to throw carpet over them.  Dan also was able to help me do this.  We bought a carpet remnant for less that 75 dollars and stapled it down over the stairs.
 
We repainted the door and the side window, painted the walls and railing, and added new base baseboard.
 
Overall the entire area cost us less that 250 dollars.
 



 


12 comments:

  1. I have an ugly split level and I adore your entryway. You inspire me to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous redo! Would you share where you found the shelf/hook piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shelf is from hobby lobby and the console table is from some discount magazine that sells furniture. It is a cheap piece, but it looks nice. LTD Commodities I believe.

      Delete
  3. That is fabulous! I bet you did a little happy dance when it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In love with the brown on the walls! Can you tell me what brand and color it is?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It is a Behr Brand and it is a custom color match. We matched a page from a magazine and it turned out green (Everything I pick seems to turn green despite my efforts) so we had them add red to make it brown. So I don't really know what color it is exactly...but it looks literally like chocolate milk so if you find a swatch like that I'm sure it would be close! Sorry I can't be more help!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get your lamp shade? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is all one lamp I bought from TJ Maxx. I think you could make something similar by glueing fabric circles together starting biggest and then smaller and smaller for each flower.

      Delete
  7. Another split level owner!!!

    I love my house but it does present a few design challenges.

    I had resolved to think my entryway had no potential, I no longer feel that way. Thank you!!!!!!

    http://chelleslittlecorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! We need always need more split-level inspiration!! I always see these great pics of houses that are already beautiful before there is any decor even in the place...And I'm like, yeah that's pretty, but it was already pretty! I want to see how to make ugly things pretty! :) That's a tough thing to do! Thanks for leaving a link to your blog! I will check it out!

      Delete
  8. I have a question.... I will be moving into a split level home soon and we are wanting to paint the railings like you did. what kind of paint and how did you paint them? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of transitions did you use from tile to carpet?

    ReplyDelete