Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

DIY Wall Sconces

DIY Sconces
I was itching for a project this weekend so I finally decided to tackle DIY sconces.  I have seen several of these around and I have had supplies to build some for the better part of a year now.  I am a little embarrassed to say that one of the things that inspired me to build these was the movie Breaking Dawn.   I know...I know...Don't judge me.  Anyway, the scene in which they show the cottage in the woods is my favorite!  I have literally watched that movie just to see that scene.  I LOVE that cottage!  And part of the reason is because it is so overstuffed with things and candles that I'm not sure how people or the following activities in the movie (haha) fit.  

Anyway, one of the things I love about that house is the sconces all over the walls and in the halls... and since I don't have the money or the patience to install real electric sconces, I will settle for the next best thing!  DIY mason jar sconces.  I lined my hallway with these and I also lined the hall that holds the stairs which run from my basement landing to my front door landing and I LOVE it!!  So much love in this house right now!!  
So anyway, I started by wrapping 19 gauge wire around my mason jars and attaching a handle.  I purchased this junk at Menards for three dollars.



Then I cut some wood ( I found a 1x6 in the garage.  Score!).  I cut it 6 pieces at 6 inches each.  Then I painted it dark brown with some old paint I found in the garage (Another Score!)  Then I coated the edges in Vaseline and slapped another coat of white on those bad boys.

Then I sanded them with some scraps of sand paper in the garage (all kinds of grits; I only had little pieces of each to work with).

Next I wrapped jute around the top hook of these cheap hooks I also purchased at Menards.  They were 2.99 each and I purchased six. I used a dab of hot glue at each end to adhere it to the metal.  The reason I added this was because I needed something to keep the handle on the mason jar as far toward the edge of the hook as possible so that the mason jar would sit level rather than tip.  Plus it turned out super cute. 

Last my handy dandy Dan screwed those hooks onto the blocks of wood and I hammered a picture hanger onto the back.  And presto!  I now feel like my house has enough candles in it for serious power outage! :)





3 comments:

  1. Odd question, but what type of paint did you use to paint your hand rails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an odd answer for you! I don't know exactly. Some of the wood was already painted white when we moved in. Since then all of it has been painted over and over again at different times-depending on where there have been little chips. It is to the point now that there are so many layers of paint that chips do not really show-don't know if that is good or bad. I think at one point I used a ceiling paint even for some of my trim. My favorite paint is actually from Ace Hardware- it is their store brand and it gives a very smooth finish, but you have to be careful because once I bought a white paint there (for my son's room, which is on this blog) and at night in the dim light it looks almost blue because of the undertones and it would be aweful had I painted my trim with it so I threw that out right away so that I would not ever use it by accident! -Ash

      Delete
  2. Ok, I have to say it- you are my hero. My FIL is currently building us a house. At first we had picked out an awesome ranch design, but he decided to make a bilevel. I was horrified when I saw it. On top of that, he chose the smallest layout I've ever seen! We're actually losing space from what we have in our tiny apt. Now, I am grateful for what he's doing, but if I hear him whine about "wasted space" in my design ideas one more time while trying to pretend that there isnt a ton of wasted space in that staircase, I might lose it.
    Then I found you. You, with your amazing style that speaks to my heart. You, with your openly insulting yet endearing opinion of this abomination of a building style. You who has made lemonade from a buttload of lemons. Please teach me your ways. Tell me how to find space in a home that was literally designed to waste space. And would you mind sharing your dimensions as well? Our home is only 32 wide by 24 deep and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm supposed to do with that while the stairs are 8x11- essentially eating up most of our footage! I'd really appreciate your guidance. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete