Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Front Stairs

The Front Stairs
Okay this isn't a DIY and after watching this happen I'm not sure anyone COULD DIY something like this!  However, this was a DIY price!

All split-levels seem to have the same front porch, the same sharp turn to the front porch stairs, the same everything!!  Stop making these this way America!  Okay anyway...  Our split-level had HORRID stairs.  Seriously I'm surprised we haven't had a lawsuit yet with the cracks and gouges that we were left to deal with!

Well for whatever reason, our front stairs had this enormous crack in the middle (I wish I had taken a picture over it).  It was as if portal to 'the unwelcome beyond' (teachers have to remain kid friendly:) had been opened in front of our house...  And as a side note, if there were a portal to that place somewhere on Earth, the surrounding streets would probably be lined with split-levels.

After just one visit, my grandfather offered to help us pour some new steps (he owned a cement business as a younger man). And finally after years of him offering, we took him up on it.  Now my grandpa is 72.  He still gets on his roof (even though he shouldn't) and he still mows his own lawn (even though he shouldn't).  And he poured us the most beautiful set of stairs we could have ever imagined!  "In fact,"  he bragged, "I was the only one in Omaha who could pour these suckers this way, with a nice curve like that."  And I believe him.



Thank you grandpa!

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to have your grandfather pour your front stairs. That's just awesome! Lovely work as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! He is a wonderful man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I found this link via Pinterest after looking for exterior ideas for our split level. I'd love to see what you've planted around the steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We haven't planted anything yet, but we did complete the retaining wall so that it bends at a 90 degree angle and connects back to the stairs. I will update this post this summer when I figure out what to plant! It is a tough decision!

      Delete
  4. I have been reading your blog and love it! I just read that you are in Omaha and that makes perfect sense.....since Omaha is chock full of split levels :). We just moved here and bought a lovely little split level of our own too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through Pinterest. Thank you Pinterest! It really makes me wish we had homes like this in Australia, because you make your split level home look so sweet and charming! I'm living in a granny flat style place now, attached to my mum's house. This has given me some fantastic ideas to make it more mine, and utilize the space more (it's basically a studio apartment). Blogs like yours get me all excited :) But I too, am quite lazy.. So we'll see how I go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikky! I know what you mean! It takes me so long to get anything done because I'd rather relax after a long day of work! Good luck on your 'granny flat!' :)

      Delete
  6. Ashley, I would love to compliment your father by pouring a duplicate set of steps in front of my ugly split. Would he be willing to share his plans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He didn't create plans for the stairs, I'm not quite sure how concrete workers do it, but when I told him I wanted curved stairs, he said that we had to create a landing at the top that came out about 3 feet and then the stairs could curve to the driveway. He then created the landing using some boards to frame a rectangle. Then he took a thin piece of wood (4x8x1/4) and used stakes on the outside frame the outside arc of the stairs. There was no science to it, aside from making it butt up to the top landing and to the driveway. It bent really easy. He then measured about 3 feet out to create the inner arc of the stairs and used the same thin wood and stakes to create that piece of the frame. From there he measured the distance from the landing to the driveway and divided it by 6 to nail in the frame for each step. He used 2x6s and nailed them to the arched frame. After that the pouring began. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but there was nothing that was put on paper. This is just what I observed as he worked. Thank you again! I will have to tell him that there are people out there who like his design!

      Delete
  7. Can I updated photo of what you guys did to the outside? We're doing pretty much the same thing, and have the same type of hill-type landscape, and I'm curious about how your retaining wall looks :) These stairs look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will work on that this week and it will be the next post. That hill is hard to figure out!

      Delete
  8. Can u post an updated photo of the front please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will work on that this week! It should be one of the newest posts. Thanks!

      Delete