Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

William's Room

I have been working on William's room this summer and this is what I've accomplished so far.  It takes me a long time to get bedrooms done for some reason.  It seems I can never find what I want.

Well anyway, his room before this was bright yellow, the color of a road sign literally.  And I can't blame this on anyone because it was my doing.  I wanted a yellow room for his jungle themed baby room, but I HATE pale yellow.  So I thought, why not make it obnoxious?  That's better than any nasty pale color.

Anyway.  I decided this summer to finally cover that color up with a nice, soft greige.  And once I did that I stopped cringing every time I walked by his room.  But then it didn't seem like a little boy's room and that made me sad in a way.

So I decided to do something funky.  I found this pattern online, of triangles going up and then down in lines and I instantly loved it.  So I painted his largest wall with this pattern.  To do this, I bought a grout sponge from Menards (it was the biggest sponge I could find).  They come in a big rectangle and they are a flat sponge.  I bought two of these and traced triangles I printed off from Word over them in two different sizes.This was not easy!  Cutting thick sponges in nice smooth lines is almost impossible, but I did it after lots and lots of trimming over and over and over... You get it.

Then I grabbed some paint from my garage- I think it was a glossy paint we used for a piece of furniture and got started.  I had to do a little measuring to evenly space my lines and when I did this I used a pencil to trace lines from the ceiling to the floor and then followed those lines with my sponge.


I also used 1x2s (I think?) to stop the pattern about a foot from the ceiling.  I painted these white and nailed them to all of his walls and then I painted the space above them white.  And I really liked how it turned out...  Adds a bit of character I think.

I also grabbed a spare piece of wood from the garage, stained it, and mounted it to shelf brackets I bought for cheap.  I really wanted the industrial ones that look like pipes, but I couldn't find any?  So this was the next best thing and once I saw them up, I loved them.

I'm still in the process of finding permanent bedding and a comfy chair, but this is what I've done so far.  Everything I decorated his room with are things I had in my closet of goodies (extra things I once used or picked up at a thrift store or on clearance) or things I made, like the deer print above his bed.  His bed was a steal!  Bought that from a garage sale for 30 bucks.  It is one of those old looking captains beds in natural wood.  I painted it white. His dresser is the same from his baby furniture set.


6 comments:

  1. I miss your posts! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes so long to get projects done because we have to save and save! The dining room is coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Christmas tour?! :) or basement tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't proud of Christmas, but I could put some pictures up! :) And you DO NOT want to see my basement. haha. Currently there is a big blue 90s recliner down there, a fish tank, and giant TV. I think this summer once we replace the awful window down there we are going to start decorating it. I could do one just for how we finished it off with the french door I suppose. I will work on that :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you do an update soon! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your home. I also have a bi level house and I know how difficult it is to find a perfect harmony.

    ReplyDelete