Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

That Awkward Space Between Two Rooms

I have had a few people ask about what I did between the living room and the dining room along that long wall and I have finally reached a place where I am fairly happy with the transition space between the living room and the dining room!

I have tried probably 100 different things in this spot, but most just seemed to small or too awkward!  My split level has the added bonus of vaulted ceilings, which I love! But which also sometimes create a problem when decorating because things seem to small or too short.  We have added some height in the living room with our tall fire place and TV to fill the space (I like filling space, but I know it is not for everyone).  And we have added height in the dining room by building our own console table which is taller than anything I found I could buy.



I decided to connect the two rooms with a row of very thick framed pictures (which again fill the space!!!) And below those, I didn't like how bare it was (Do you see my issue with space?) So I decided to place a small chair I recovered with a basket full of our favorite games!  On top of those I placed matching pillows to my couch to bring in lighter tones and to FILL THE SPACE.




And I love it because it creates what I like to think of as another sitting area (yeah it's small, but let me have this!)  I also put the chair's mate on the other side of the console table so that when we have guests I can easily pull those chairs out and place them at each end of my table- which sure beats dragging up our paint spattered war torn folding chairs.  Yeah, it gets real in our house.



6 comments:

  1. Yay you're back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes me that long to get anything done! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your home. It just has that cozy warm homey feeling to it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What paint color did you use on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is your console table from??

    ReplyDelete