Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Freshening up for Spring

Spring is finally here which means summer vacation is on the horizon!  In the spirit of spring I finally took down my Christmas tree (in march- don't judge) and made way for some springish additions to my lovely abode. 
 I found these floral pillows at Homegoods and bought them convinced I would save them for when we eventually maybe might adopt a daughter- I can dream (about adoption and about having the room to store them-not the children the pillows)!  And then when spring rolled around I pulled these bad boys out and slapped them on the couch and it was like it was made for my living room.  What luck! I am just accidently good at a lot of the things I do apparently.  Or at least I think I am.
 Dan made me this bench for my entry.  The entry has been undergoing decorating construction lately (for like 2 years).  Still, I am not satisfied with it, but when I am I will scream it from the rooftops and create a new post for my updated entry.  It has changed a bit since the last post about it.  
 OMG  I found this leafy vine at Hobby Lobby and I instantly loved it.  I have been obsessing over Fixer Upper because I love everything on that show.  And I especially love the magnolia wreaths!  But when I went to Joanna's shop, they were a little pricey for me.  I have thought about making my own, but whenever I find faux magnolia foliage it's bright green and plasticy.  I've thought about painting them to make them look more like the ones she uses, but it just sounds awful.  

I was losing hope when I ran into this stuff at HL.  It has the same colors as those wreaths I admire so much and it is a similar shape.  I bought probably all of them that day and strung them all over my house.  It might look a little crazy, but I am loving how fresh it feels.  I have even made a wreath out of them- which I will post soon.  And it looks similar enough for me to love it!  And it cost me under 15 dollars!
 There's some more of that greenery... it's everywhere see?
 More green- surprisingly not the stuff I was just obsessing about.  We painted this little table and it fits perfectly in that spot at the top of the stairs- sort of like another mini entryway.  I seriously think it is made out of cardboard- I bought it from Lakeside I think about 5 years ago for 30 bucks, painted it, and changed out the knobs.  It has held up surprisingly and I still love it.  It is mini, which is perfect for my fun-sized house.

 Well that's it for now.  Hopefully I will get that entry fixed up and post it soon.  William's room has undergone a few changes- I will get those up as soon as I can also.  AND THE BASEMENT IS ALMOST FINISHED!!  Woot Woot!  I am attempting to do an industrial man cave down there.  So far it's been interesting.  I am definitely out of my element!  And everything has to be approved by the hubby- which is even more constraining.  Hopefully I will get that up soon! 

20 comments:

  1. So pretty!!!!!! Do you have an Instagram/home account to follow??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do not have one currently. Is that a thing for bloggers? Haha- I am clearly not a professional :)

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to write and say I love your blog! We have a split level too and I am constantly in a love/hate relationship with it. There is not much on Pinterest for them either so when I saw a blog that is my style and my kind of house I had to follow. Please keep posting!!! I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! I know what you mean about the love hate relationship! I love and hate my house at least a couple times each day! The lack of space always gets to me, but then I think of mantras like: "live with less," or "simplify your life," or "small houses create more opportunities for family time..." And then I stub my toe on a piece of furniture and I am back where I started LOL.

      Delete
  3. I love your style, your home is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!!
    Your house is beautiful!!
    Always look forward to your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting patiently for a new post! Bahaha I love seeing everything you do and can't wait to see the downstairs! Can you take us through the journey of fixing it up..... Or a home tour maybe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am planning a home tour soon. I need a bright day for pictures you know? I never thought of blogging the journey. That's a great idea. I will get on that for the basement. And thank you! So flattered :)

      Delete
  6. I found your blog through Pinterest and I am soo glad I did. My husband and I are looking at buying a split level home (which I swore I would never buy). Your blog has given me so much hope and inspiration that I'm actually really looking forward to it now. So, Thank you!! You're home is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! They are really not as bad as everyone (including me at one time) thinks! :D

      Delete
  7. Where did you find the sweater blanket?! Need!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know your basement is unfinished and i know it will be absolutely adorable like EVERYTHING else once it is. haha but i was curious what the space is like under your stairs? is it a grungy, unfinished, catch-all closet with spider webs deep back into the crawl space like mine? or does it serve a purpose and look awesome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nasty! Haha. It is a catch all closet sadly to say. I have seen some awesome stuff on Pinterest where people do really creative things with that space, but I can't imagine giving up the storage in a Split! I have thought about taking the door out and turning that space into one of those mini-mudrooms, but then my dilemma is: how do I put a 'trick' door in the back of it- one that you could lean on if you were sitting to take off your boots and that will open if you push on it to allow you access into the closet? And the top of it would have to be angled because the ceiling angles downward from the stairs above it. I don't know- I'll have to work that one out. I have uploaded some in progress pics of the basement recently if you want to see the layout currently. It is pretty standard. Thanks for the question though!

      Delete
  9. Hi! I randomly google split-entry stairs to see if I could find any inspiration and I clicked on your picture and I read your blog while at work! Whoops! I'm sorry if I sound like a stalker but when you talked about NFM I wondered if you were from around the Omaha area since split-levels are so popular here. Anyway, I hope that you keep posting and inspiring me to make cute changes to my house. I have to say that your house is super cute and gives me hope for mine! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes! My grandma actually has one in Omaha also. They built it in the 70s when it was the thing! I guess they thought it was pretty groovy. :) Thanks for stopping by and no need to apologize!

      Delete
  10. Hi Ashley, I found your blog by happy accident one day while googling split level updates - budget friendly. I'm obsessed with your savvy re-do's - you have truly inspired me to make changes (we've lived in ours for 30 years and for most of those years we have wanted to sell it - but I keep telling my husband there is hope for us to at least like our home again! I love what you've done to your rooms, and I'm learning to keep things neutral-toned as you have shown. (I am decor-challenged) Your home is gorgeous and inviting. Your blog and progress give me hope :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog! Would you be able to show the transition space from your living room to your dining room? Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete