Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Basement in Progress

I had a few people request to see the basement and how we dealt with the awkwardness of the split-level layout so I decided to take some pics of our basement in progress- which really bugs me because I am a PERFECTIONIST! ...It's bad.

So I am taking a deep breath and soon I will click upload on these pics. *cringe.  They are not the finished product so keep that in mind.  I can do this.  I can do this...





This is the down stairs entry.  It used to be open, but my husband wanted a way to keep the noise in/out so we put in a half french door since there isn't really room for a regular one and we didn't want it to block out light from the window.  

The door to the right is the closet under the stairs to give you a better idea of what you are looking at.







 I have thought about a small sort of bench beneath the HIS rack, but I'm not sure it would fit.  Maybe a boot rack?  There is just no room in a Split!


This was all wood panels before we put in dry wall.  It was challenging because it had a drop ceiling.  You can see that we had to box out some junk in the ceiling- I don't know the technical lingo for what's up there.

This is Dan's area so he gets to pick what it is used for and he has to approve all the decor.  It's really a strain on our relationship.  Haha!

I am not a fan of fish tanks, but he loves it.  And I suppose he's got to be happy too! :)

The back wall with the pictures has a closet behind it.  The room was originally longer, but due to our lack of storage we decided to box it out for some extra storage space.  It really makes the difference.  You cannot see the door that is to the right of that weight machine.





 I am allowed to have pillows in the basement- BUT ONLY TWO.  I have tried for more, but they just end up in strange places upstairs anytime I try to add them.




We ordered the map from Society 6.



 The shelves are still in progress as well.  The boards at the top are going to go up the sides of the TV, but are not finished yet.

My husband threw some extra junk I had lying around on the shelves and I have to say it doesn't look half bad!  Good job husband.





We are going for that industrial pipe shelf look.

 Well that's all for now.  I'll keep you updated when there are changes.  Hopefully by spring it will be looking a little bit more polished.  Loving it so far!


3 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! I like the extra storage space you guys created. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was your basement finished at all when you moved in or did you do all of the framing and dry-walling yourself? We about to start on ours and i love to pick another bi-level owners brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was partially finished and we framed in the door and the closet that we added to the back of the long room. We also framed in the shower which is the other part of the closet in the back- which opens into the laundry room.

      Delete